The general idea of 1-1 Mentorship is:
- meet with someone
- → work out what they best need next
- → get them connected to what they need (e.g. recommending reading, connecting them to someone, give them advice)
- → meet them again later
- → repeat ad infinitum
Your role in 1-1 mentorship lies in:
- Listening carefully to where they're at in their thinking
- Leveraging your experience in EA to clarify confusions and misconceptions
- Guiding them through the next steps they can take to advance their own thinking in these areas
- Providing a friendly accountability mechanism so that they feel excited about EA, and therefore about following up on those next steps
How to find resources to use in 1-1s
In your 1-1s with people, you'll be signposting various EA resources that you think your mentee could benefit from reading. So it'll be helpful for you to have wide-ranging knowledge of various EA literature to better help guide people to useful materials.
To help with this, we maintain a resource database of EA materials that you can use to find resources to send people.
Creating a 1-1 booking system on Calendly
We think using Calendly is the easiest way for you to set up a system for booking 1-1s with people.
You can also try using usemotion.com which also has a Calendly-like booking system.
Creating a team Calendly